05 July 2008

Voice vs. Vision

I'm in the process of writing a blog entry about what I've been working on over the past week while I've been off work. One thing I've noted is that I keep wanting to use the word voice rather than vision when describing my art.

I find that interesting. Here I am, creating visual pieces while trying to discover my inner artist. But when I describe what I am doing, voice is the default, even though I am thinking about what I am seeing.

For years, I have been a writer. I worked as a writer. I kept journals. I read and I wrote. Words were my currency for self-expression. I was a writer. (To a large extent, I still am.)

As I am starting to find different parts of myself in my quilt art, I am trying to think of myself as an artist. I try to see without words. I try to let my visions dance free from the confines of my vocabulary.

But it still seems that words are my default. I wonder if that will ever change.

It's OK if it doesn't. I feel comfortable with the words that have been with me for so long.

Perhaps it's the same with my art. Once I become comfortable with my visual voice, then maybe I'll find that it's been my vision all along.

No comments: